Monday, September 15, 2008

Nevada begins

Its always nice when you can announce something amazing that you are going to do on your blog, however it appears that I have been scooped on my own story. Last thursday I met Paul Z., a really cool fellow Obama supporter. We were tabling together most of the day for the Democrats Abroad at UBC and we registered almost 100 people to vote for November, it was an amazing experience. He told me how he was going to spend the next two months in Colorado campaigning for Barack Obama and I was inspired. While I wish I could go on a two month adventure like Paul, I decided that day to do my part to help change America. During the day, it came to me to try and organize a trip for American students in British Columbia, many who I am sure feel as guilty as I do for not being able to help much with the campaign, to travel to the swing state of Nevada to volunteer with the Obama campaign.

The state of Nevada has a voter registration deadline of October 6th, meaning the days leading up to that deadline will be extremly frantic. The Obama campaign is in desperate need of volunteers for that time to get out and help rock the vote. My goal is to bring atleast 10 students from UBC, Simon Fraser, and UVic to Las Vegas from October 2nd to October 7th to help with the final push. The logistics are daunting. In the next 17 days, I have to find as many students as I can who can commit to coming, as well as raise as much money as I can to help subsidize the trip. The cost looks like it will be around $350 per person, but I would like to make it under $100, and free to those who need it. I will be posting periodic updates to how this quest is going, and I will need all the luck I can get

No comments: